The Scrutiny of Genuine Love
Prayer – Part 1
Prayer is conversation with God, then the first documented “prayer” is in Genesis 3:8-19.
Genesis 3:9 Then the Lord God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?
Context: Adam & Even in the Garden having just eaten the forbidden fruit.
God’s conversation with them starts with: Where are you? Love Is looking for you
Noteworthy that God does not ask:
- What have you done?
- Why did you do that?
- How could you be such a failure?
- When did this happen?
- Who do you think you are?
God knows where they are, what they’ve done, how it happened, why and when. So, the “where” question is the conversation question.
Adam & Eve’s behavior:
- To hide – Genesis 3:8, “They heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day & the man & his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden”
- To cover (naked) – Genesis 3:7, “Then the eyes of both of them were opened & they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together & made themselves loin coverings
- To be afraid – Genesis 3:10, “’I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid
1 – Are you afraid of God?
2 – Where are the places in your life where you hide from God?
3 – Where are the places in your life where you cover yourself?